KHK Visiting Research Fellow 2012, Associate Professor of Korean Christianity, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Sung-Deuk Oak joined the Center for Korean Studies in the Departement of Asian Languages and Cultures at the University of California (UCLA) in 2005 as an Adjunct Professor of Korean Christianity and became Assistant Professor in 2007. Since 2011 he is Associate Professor of Korean Christianity at UCLA. From 2002 to 2003 Sung-Deuk Oak was a Henry Luce Post-doctoral Fellow of Korean Christianity at UCLA and a Visiting Scholar at the Center of Korean Studies from 2003 to 2005.
Sung-Deuk Oak’s field of expertise include the history of Korean Christianity, especially Korean Protestantism and its global connections. In addition to his many editorships and articles, Sung-Deuk Oak is also the administrator of the Online Archive Korean Christianity, a previous source for everybody who’s interested in the history of Korean Christianity. During his stay in Bochum he will investigate encounters of Christianity with Korean religions during 1875 ~ 1915.
- Th.D., Christian History, Boston University, Boston, Massachusestts, USA, 2002
- Master of Theological Studies, Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, New Jersey, USA,1994
- Master of Divinity, Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Seoul, South Korea, 1991
- Bachelor of Arts, Korean History, Soeul National University, Seoul, South Korea, 1988
- Bachelor of Arts, English Literature and Language, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea, 1986
Duration: April 2012 - October 2012
Project: Encounters of Christianity with Korean Religions during 1875 ~ 1915.
Einzelforscher/in von Encounters of Christianity with Korean Religions during 1875 - 1915
Ehem. KHK Gastwissenschaftler/in von Käte Hamburger Kolleg